I came across a recipe for cocoa bread, and I knew I had to give it a try since I am on a serious quick bread kick. I also thought this bread would be great with chocolate chips folded into the batter. It turned out very tasty! I changed the recipe a bit since I didn’t have wheat flour, and I added a little orange zest for more flavor.
Chocolate Chip Cocoa Bread
(Makes 1 Loaf)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter with the sugar, orange zest, and espresso powder.
- Mix in the egg and milk.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a greased loaf pan, bake in a preheated 350F oven for 50-60 minutes, until the top is dry and slightly cracked.