I had an older post with this same recipe but as with the nature of almost every recipe I have used it has turned out a little bit differently this time around. I had some fresh mozzarella and parmesan leftover in the fridge so I added those in. I didn’t have any capers this time which was too bad. They are very nice on this pizza.
I like the thin crust style of this pizza and the flavor of the roasted orange and yellow peppers. Roasting the peppers beforehand intensifies their flavor. Instead of leaving the skins on I removed them. I think I like this version better–some of the bitterness of the blackened pepper was removed when I took away the skin. The fontina and parmesan with the addition of fresh mozzarella gave the toppings a melty softness that was very tasty. I went the lazy route and used a pre-made dough from the grocery again. I like to use the whole wheat dough sold in a package (not a can). One of these days I will try a pizza crust from scratch.
Three Cheese and Roasted Pepper Pizza
(Makes 1 Pizza)
- 1/4 of one red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 2 cups white Sauteed Mushrooms
- 2 Roasted Bell Peppers (I like yellow and orange), sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. Capers
- 16 oz. Pizza Sauce
- One package of Whole Wheat dough
- 5 oz. block Fontina Cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- A few teaspoons grated parmesan
- Several tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White Flour (for kneading dough)
1. Preheat Oven to 450F. Brush a tablespoon of olive oil onto a tin foil-covered pizza pan.
2. Spread flour on a large flat service. With a rolling pin, flatten the dough. (I picked up the dough and stretched it with my hands to make it especially thin.)
3. Place dough onto tin foil and shape. Brush with olive oil. Bake in oven for 3 minutes at 450F. After it starts to look a little less soft remove from the oven.
4. Spread sauce over the pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border, and top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with fontina, mozzarella, and a little parmesan cheese.
5. Top with onion, olives, roasted peppers, and capers. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes.