As soon as I made my first batch of spinach pesto I threw it on penne along with some spicy grilled chicken. The paprika rubbed chicken added a nice counterpoint to the creamy pesto sauce. Even though it was a simple spice rub (paprika and olive oil) it tasted great. Before grilling, I tenderized the chicken by pounding it thin. The pasta was flavorful and the warm colors of the chicken and green pasta were very pleasing to the eye as well! I topped the pasta with a little crumbled feta and walnuts.
Pesto Pasta with Paprika Grilled Chicken
(Makes 4 Servings)
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 4 tsp paprika
- Dash cayenne
- 3 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 batch spinach pesto
- 1 handful walnuts, toasted
- 1 handful feta, crumbled
- Start boiling the water for the pasta and cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Pound the chicken breasts and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Rub the paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper onto the chicken.
- Grill the chicken, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the spinach pesto. Let rest for a few minutes.
- Slice the chicken and set on top of the pasta and garnish with walnuts and feta.
recipe adapted from closetcooking