The grown-up version of the popular snack for kids–english muffin pizzas! I liked this bite-sized take on the classic Margherita pizza a lot. I tried several different ways of adding the basil: underneath the cheese, on top and cooked, on top and raw. My favorite of those was the middle–on top of the cheese and cooked for just a few minutes. It was the most flavorful and left the basil fresh and green. I only had sourdough english muffins and those worked out fine.
English Muffin Margherita Pizzas
(Makes 12 Pizzas)
- 6 pack of English Muffins, halved
- 8 0z. Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 1 package of Fresh Basil (or about 20 leaves)
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 16 oz. Pizza Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Toast the muffin halves in a toaster until lightly browned.
- Brush each side with olive oil. Add a few heaping tablespoons of the sauce to each half.
- Place the mozzarella slices on the halves evenly.
- Bake in the oven on tin foil or baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is just bubbling. Add the basil pieces during the last minute of baking.