You just can’t get any more classic than a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I had never made pumpkin pie before but I was very happy with the results. The pie was so flavorful and the texture was nice and smooth. The crust was good and a little bit flaky. The recipe wasn’t too difficult to follow either. I topped the slice with a little fresh whipped cream.
(Makes 1 Pie)
- 2 cups of pumpkin pulp puree from a sugar pumpkin or from canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 pie crust
1 Preheat oven to 425F.
2 Mix sugars, salt, and spices, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Stir in cream. Whisk all together until well incorporated.
3 Pour into pie shell and bake at 425F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Cool for 2 hours.