Since I already tried Moroccan couscous I thought it would be nice to try something different. I decided on roasted potatoes and they turned out very nicely. They went great with the Roasted Moroccan chicken and had very good flavor. The honey mellows and contrasts with the spicy harissa and lemon juice. The honey also caramelizes the potatoes and the result is a crispy, golden outside. The only downside is that honey has the tendency of sticking to the pan so use a generous amount of olive oil and turn the potatoes every 12-15 minutes or so. To get the potatoes extra crispy on the outside I sometimes turn the oven to the broil setting the last 3 minutes of baking.
Roasted Moroccan Potatoes
(Makes 4 Servings)
- 4 baking potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- olive oil, for tossing
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Harissa
- 1 tbsp Honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful parsley, chopped (optional)
- Coat a flat pan in olive oil and spread the potatoes evenly on top. Toss the potatoes in the olive oil.
- Spread the harissa, lemon zest, and honey on the potatoes.
- Squeeze half of the lemon juice onto the potatoes.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown. Turn after 20 minutes of baking.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the lemon juice and toss on the parsley.