A classic way to eat gnocchi is with a brown butter and sage sauce. The sauce is really easy to make as it only involves melting some butter in a pan, letting it brown for a few minutes, and then frying fresh sage leaves in the butter. It is a perfect sauce for both pumpkin and sweet potato gnocchi. The next step is to toss the gnocchi in the sauce for a few minutes and the result is a delicious pasta with flavors of pumpkin and sage. I added a little lemon juice at the end to give the pasta a little more flavor.
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Crispy Fried Sage
(makes about 4 servings)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 handful sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 batch pumpkin gnocchi, boiled
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- handful parmigiano-reggiano, garnish
- In a saute pan, melt the butter and cook it on high until it just starts to brown.
- Turn down the heat and add the chopped sage and fry about 1 minute.
- Add the gnocchi and toss to coat for several minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice. Garnish with the parmigiano-reggiano.