Kalamaki (or Souvlaki) is a Greek food that can be made with chicken, beef or vegetables. The meat is marinated and grilled on a skewer. I marinated the chicken in lemon, yogurt and oregano for a few hours before grilling. It was a simple marinade of fresh ingredients that went really well with the flavors of the grilled chicken. Putting the chicken on a skewer is optional but it does end up being more fun to eat.
Chicken Kalamaki (Yogurt Lemon Chicken)
(makes 2 servings)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into long strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2-3 tbsp oregano
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tbsp full fat plain yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Skewer the chicken and rub the chicken strips with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Coat with the garlic, oregano, and yogurt and let marinate for several hours to overnight.
- Grill for several minutes on each side.