For Mother’s Day I wanted to post my mom’s rhubarb crisp recipe I enjoyed every summer as a kid. In the backyard there was a big rhubarb plant and once the stalks were ripe she would cut some off and make rhubarb crisp! Her recipe is easy and not including the rhubarb you probably already have the ingredients at home. Oats, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon cover a layer of chopped rhubarb. Then it’s baked in the oven and the result is soft and melty on the bottom with crispy oats on the top. I topped the crisp with fresh whipped cream. Mom’s recipe is a winner!
(makes 12 bars)
- 12 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- whipped cream
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, butter, and spices.
- In a large shallow glass pan evenly spread the chopped rhubarb (about 1 1/2-2 inches deep).
- Spread the dry mixture on top of the rhubarb evenly.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30-35 minutes until the top is bubbling and golden brown.