Ever since I first made kimchi and gochujang I have been infatuated with those ingredients. Kimchi reminds me a little of sauerkraut so I had the idea of making a Korean inspired grilled cheese sandwich. Instead of grilling the chicken breasts, I decided to boil them which resulted in nicely shredded chicken. Then I tossed the shredded chicken in a simple Korean marinade of gochujang, soy sauce, ginger, and honey. The chicken was layered with kimchi, sharp cheddar cheese, and gochujang mayo. The result was a delicious, melty chicken sandwich that was spicy and sweet. All the flavors were perfectly balanced with each other and came together so well!
Pulled Chicken Sandwich with Kimchi and Gochujang Mayo
(makes 3 sandwiches)
- 6 slices bread
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 batch chicken marinade
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 7 oz. kimchi, drained and chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp gochujang
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 green onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the shredded chicken in the marinade and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the mayo, gochujang, sesame seeds and green onion.
- On one slice of bread, spread a layer of gochujang mayo on top. Add the chicken, kimchi and cheese slices.
- Grill on a panini or foreman grill for several minutes until the cheese has melted.