Who knew you could grill avocados? I had no idea until I read the recipe for these tacos. I loved the idea of tangy goat cheese coupled with the avocado slices and honey lime dressing. It sounded like the perfect quick summer meal so I knew I had to give it a try! I thought a good spice blend of black beans seasoned with achiote seed, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika would be a great addition to these tacos. The avocados had a slightly different flavor after grilling that was unique and hard to describe. I guess the flavor became a little more smokey with a stronger avocado smell. The tacos were really good! I especially liked the simple honey lime dressing to give the filling some brightness.
Achiote Black Bean Tacos with Grilled Avocado and Goat Cheese
(makes 6 tacos)
- 30 oz. black beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. achiote seed, ground
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 lime, zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 small avocados, grilled and sliced
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- 6 corn tortillas, warmed
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil and onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the black beans, achiote, paprika, cumin, coriander, lime zest, water, and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for about 10 minutes until the liquid has cooked off.
- Meanwhile, halve the avocados, remove the pits, and place face down on a grill for about 5 minutes.
- Cook the jasmine rice as directed on the package.
- Whisk the honey and lime juice together in a bowl.
- Add a few tablespoons of the rice and beans to the taco shells. Add the avocado slices, goat cheese and drizzle the lime dressing over the toppings.