One of my favorite summer dishes is caprese salad. Sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves and balsamic vinegar offer the perfect combination of flavors. It also turns out these ingredients are a perfect grilled cheese in the making! The one issue was the balsamic vinegar–how to incorporate a liquid ingredient on a sandwich that isn’t a dressing? My solution was to simply roast the tomatoes in balsamic vinegar in the oven which infused the flavor of the balsamic into the tomato. I chose sourdough for the bread which worked nicely with the other ingredients. The sandwich was really tasty and not hard to make at all. It was a great way to turn a caprese salad appetizer into the main course!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes
(makes 3 sandwiches)
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 large handfuls basil leaves (about 1 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sliced tomatoes on a flat pan greased with olive oil. Drizzle the tops with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- On the broil setting, bake the tomatoes in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure the tomatoes aren’t sticking.
- Place a few basil leaves on each slice of the bread. Add the roasted tomatoes and top with mozzarella.
- Grill on a panini or foreman grill for several minutes until the cheese has melted.