This stew is a great combination of Fall and middle eastern flavors. The recipe brings together shredded chicken, butternut squash, chickpeas, Bulgur wheat, preserved lemons and savory spices. This combination makes a great dinner on a cold night. Butternut squash has been a favorite of mine for a while and once again it didn’t disappoint! Another favorite ingredient of mine is preserved lemon which flavored the stew very nicely. The bulgur, chickpeas and chicken made the stew extra hearty and delicious! I topped the stew with a little yogurt and lemons slices for garnish.
Chicken and Butternut Squash Stew with Preserved Lemons
(makes about 6 Servings)
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 small Butternut squash, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 30 oz. chickpeas, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 preserved lemon, washed, pith removed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp caraway
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- plain yogurt, for garnish
- In a 10 qt. sauce pot, heat the canola oil and butter and add the onions. Cook on medium high for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, bay leaf, dry spices and stir. Cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken breasts whole and brown on all sides.
- Add the butternut squash, chickpeas, bulgur wheat, preserved lemon, tomato sauce, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and remove the chicken breasts when just cooked through. Set the chicken aside in a covered bowl.
- Cook the mixture on a low simmer until the squash has cooked through, uncovered about 25-30 minutes.
- Shred the chicken breasts with a fork and add back into the stew.
- Serve with lemons slices and plain yogurt.