I was looking for a tasty snack–something to munch on during the day that had a good amount of filling protein but also packed with flavor. I came across a recipe for baked chickpeas and was intrigued because I always liked them in stews and soups but had never tried them on their own. The chickpeas are lightly tossed with olive oil, rolled in a spice blend, and baked until they become dry and crispy. They remind me a little of popcorn but so much healthier and tastier! The spice blend can be adjusted to your own tastes, whether you want it saltier, sweeter, or spicier. I preferred the spicy and salty, but I plan to experiment more and see what I like best.
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Drain and wash the chickpeas. Place the clean chickpeas on a layer of paper towels and gently rub them until dry.
- Pour all of the spices, sugar, and salt into a bowl and mix together.
- Place the dried chickpeas in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and coat on all sides.
- Pour the spice blend over the chickpeas and toss to coat.
- Place on a flat baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425F oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until the chickpeas are crunchy and brown.