Oatmeal raisin cookies got a bad rep when I was a kid. They weren’t very sweet, had a dry crumbly texture and just couldn’t stand up to classic chocolate chip cookies. These cookies give chocolate chip a run for it’s money. The cherries and chocolate go so well together and the texture was soft and not too crumbly. The cherries really take this cookie to the next level because they added a little bit of tartness to balance the sweet. I will definitely be making these again! The recipe makes 5 1/2 dozen so I cut the recipe in half. If you wanted to make the larger amount, just double the measurements below.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
(makes about 2-3 dozen cookies)
- 5/8 cup butter, softened
- 5/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned uncooked oatmeal
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the creamed butter and sugar and mix well.
- Stir in the oatmeal, chocolate chips and cherries.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-11 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then remove.