The messiest foods are the best foods, especially when we’re talking about sandwiches. If the sandwich can’t be contained inside two pieces of bread it’s gotta be good! This sandwich has a lot of good things going for it: shredded chicken smothered in spicy BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, and sharp cheddar cheese. Since barbeque sauce is a staple in my kitchen, I just make my own since it’s so easy. This sandwich packs a ton of flavor! The combination of the melted sharp cheddar with the flavors of the BBQ sauce and caramelized onions was so tasty. I served the sandwich alongside some smoky chipotle fries. I will definitely be making this again!
BBQ Grilled Cheese Chicken Sandwich with Chipotle Fries
(Makes 3 sandwiches)
- 6 slices bread, cut diagonally
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 batch BBQ sauce
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 batch chipotle fries
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil and onions. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub the chicken breasts in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and half of the barbeque sauce.
- Grill the chicken breasts until cooked, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Assemble a serving of cheese and onions on the bread slices.
- Shred the chicken breasts with a pair of forks. Mix in the rest of the barbeque sauce with your hands and set aside covered.
- Grill the sandwiches in a buttered flat pan or foreman/panini style grill until the cheese melts.
- Add a few heaping tablespoons of the shredded chicken onto the sandwich and enjoy.