To go with the batch of Veggie Dumplings, I wanted to make the perfect sauce to go with them. I read about Momos and how they are frequently paired with a tomato based sauce so I settled on a sweet and savory chutney. I loved the flavor of this sauce. The combination of spices and herbs with the acid from the lime and apple cider vinegar was so delicious. The best part was that it didn’t take long to make this and most of the ingredients I already had on hand. It made me want to double the recipe and just have it as a snack by itself!
- 2 1/2 lb. Roma tomatoes, skins removed
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 serrano chilies, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cloves, ground
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 inch knob ginger, grated
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves removed and stalks chopped
- 5 curry leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 lime, juice
- salt to taste
- Squeeze the peeled tomatoes to remove excess liquid. Chop loosely into chunks.
- Heat a sauce pot and add the oil. Add the ground spices, serrano peppers, garlic, ginger, cilantro stalks and curry leaves.
- Stir and add onion and cook over low heat for 4 minutes until onion is soft and light brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until they break down into mush.
- Add sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil, then simmer gently over medium-low heat until thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and lime juice and stir in coriander leaves. Eat straight away or spoon it into sterilized jars.