Summer is almost over but I am resisting that fact by making a bunch of summery food. These black bean burgers are totally loaded with lots of add-ons: mashed avocado, chipotle mayo, tomato, melted cheddar, and crispy caramelized onions. The actual burger is mixed with sweet corn, rolled oats and spices. It’s super filling and loaded with protein. The burgers are a little bit delicate and they do best cooked over a hot saute pan. Everything came together really well and it turned out super tasty! You can always add whatever fixins you want. Some other options would be sprouts, feta cheese, sauteed mushrooms, pickles and lettuce.
Black Bean Burger with Caramelized Onions and Chipotle Mayo
Adapted from SpoonForkBacon
(Makes 4 burgers)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 ear yellow corn, kernels shaved
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sharp cheddar, sliced
- 2 avocados, mashed
- lime juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Place onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Add beans, oats, corn, green onion, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and pulse 8 times.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl and pulse an additional 5 to 8 times (depending on desired texture).
- Place mixture into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the mayo and chipotle powder and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until smooth. Add lime and salt. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil and add the sliced onion, cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium. Form mixture into four equal patties.
- Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through. Add the cheese on the flipped side and cover the pan until melted.
- Remove patties from heat and place onto burger buns dressed on one side with chipotle mayo. On the other side of the bun add the smashed avocado.
- Assemble burger with remaining toppings and condiments and serve.