Once I had a batch of Pickled Corn Salsa ready I took a nice pork shoulder and slow cooked it for some tasty tacos! The pork is marinated in tomatoes, onions and spices and slow cooked for about 4 hours in a crock pot. The pork ended up being succulent and fall apart tender. I was really happy with how soft and flavorful it turned out. The acids from the pickled salsa complimented the richness of the shredded pork. For garnish, I added a touch of lime and queso fresco.
Slow Cooker Shredded Pork Tacos
(Makes 12 tacos)
- 4 lb. pork shoulder with bone and rind
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6-12 soft corn taco shells
- 1 batch Pickled Corn Salsa
- queso fresco, crumbled
- juice of 1 lime, optional
- handful cilantro, optional
- Rub the pork in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a flat pan, sear the meat on all sides until just browned, about 45 seconds per side.
- Add the browned pork to the crock pot, scraping the brown bits into the pot as well.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, peppers and water into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours, or until the pork falls apart easily.
- Remove from the cooker and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Shred with a pair of forks and place into a large bowl.
- Serve on warmed taco shells, adding a spoonful of the salsa and queso fresco to each taco.