It took some convincing for my Italian, east-coast born, boyfriend to go along with a pizza recipe that requires barbeque sauce, not tomato sauce. After he tasted it though I didn’t have to do anymore convincing. The flavors of this recipe were very good. The tangy barbeque sauce was a nice compliment to the sweet onions. I used Fontina cheese, but you can make it with blue, gouda, feta or mozzarella cheese as well.
BBQ Chicken Pizza with Caramelized Onions
(Makes 1 Pizza)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 – 1/2 cups Barbeque sauce
- 1 pizza dough
- 5-6 oz. Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1B yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- a few tablespoons canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Grill the chicken in a little bbq sauce until just cooked, remove from heat. Cut or shred into small pieces.
- In a saute pan, heat a few tablespoons of canola oil. Add the sliced onion and the brown sugar until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- On a pizza crust, spread the bbq sauce over the dough followed by the chicken, onion, and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.