Tacos are one of my favorite foods and I’m always looking for different combinations to try out! This recipe combines tender, shredded chicken with a smokey Chipotle salsa and melty Oaxaca cheese. I roasted the chicken in the oven with fragrant spices, garlic and honey. The nice thing about roasting the chicken is that it produces plenty of juice in the pan to incorporate back into the meat once it has been shredded. This results in the juiciest, most tender meat for the tacos. The Oaxaca cheese melted easily over the tacos and had a mild flavor that complimented the other ingredients. The salsa can be made up to two days beforehand to save time on preparation.
Roasted Chicken Tacos with Chipotle Salsa and Oaxaca Cheese
(Makes 12 tacos)
- 1 4 1/4 – 4 1/2 lb whole chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 batch Roasted Chipotle Tomato Salsa
- 3-4 oz. Oaxaca cheese, grated
- 12 soft corn taco shells
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 handful Cilantro, chopped
- In a glass pan, rub the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry spices together.
- Evenly rub on the spices and garlic (I usually cut 2 small holes along the breast to get some of the spices under the skin).
- Pour the apple cider vinegar over the chicken and pat onto the skin.
- Drizzle with honey and fill the pan with about a 1/2 inch of water. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 375 oven for about 1 1/2-2 hours or until an internal thermometer reads 165F.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salsa and condiments.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before shredding.
- Remove the meat from the bones and place in a large bowl. Shred with a knife and fork. Pour a little of the drippings from the pan and let rest for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of the chicken to each taco and dress with the salsa, oaxaca cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime juice.