I picked up some tomatillos for a mole sauce a few days ago and since I had a bunch left over I decided to make a salsa verde. This salsa tastes great with meat, especially pork, because of its sour and spicy flavor. It has a really bold taste so throwing it in some tacos was a great way to use this salsa. This recipe is pretty spicy so feel free to take out a few of the peppers for a milder sauce. The sauce can be easily frozen and stored too.
(Makes 2-3 Cups)
- 1 lb Tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 serrano peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the tomatillos and peppers on a baking sheet with the skin of the peppers up.
- Broil in the oven until the tomatillos are blackened all over and the jalapeno skin has blackened. Remove the skins from the peppers.
- Mix in the garlic, onion, lime, and cilantro. Puree everything in a blender.