I thought that a Jamaican rice dish cooked in coconut milk would be a great accompaniment to the spicy Jerk chicken. The coconut milk has a cooling effect to balance out the pepper’s heat. I couldn’t find scotch bonnet peppers so I used a jalapeno instead. I didn’t want the rice too spicy so I thought that worked out well. The rice was creamy and sweet with an afterthought of heat which tasted very good with the chicken and mango salsa.
Jamaican Red Beans and Rice
(Makes 4 Servings)
- 2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno or 1 scotch bonnet pepper, stem removed and halved
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4-5 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3-4 cups water or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Green onion, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Bring everything to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the pepper and garnish with green onion and cilantro.