I wanted to make a really unique tasting recipe for my first experiment with homemade jams. You can make jam without using pectin, but I wanted to give it a try and see what happened. It added a thickness to the jam that was nice. The mango with the cardamom were very tasty together. I left some mango chunks in it for extra texture. It tastes great on toast and even with peanut butter. I look forward to having this with a slice of curried mango bread too!
Mango and Cardamom Jam
(Makes 5 Cups)
- 4 cups mango (stoned, peeled, chopped)
- 1 packet liquid pectin (like Certo)
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp ground Cardamom
- Bring the mangoes and pectin to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and cardamom and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
To sterilize the jars:
- Wash in hot soapy water.
- Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
- Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.