It feels like Spring in Central California and I wanted to have a meal that fits with the seasonal transition. This salad was the solution as it perfectly balances wintery beets and goat cheese with fresh greens and grilled chicken. For some added flavor and color I threw in some sliced red cabbage and red onion as well. The greens can be red leaf lettuce, spinach or mixed greens but I went with the red leaf lettuce. The result was a delicious salad and all the flavors worked so well together! The tangy grilled chicken and creamy goat cheese made a great pair. This salad was a great way to bring winter and summer flavors together. I drizzled the salad with balsamic vinegar for a little more tanginess, but this salad would work fine without salad dressing.
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Balsamic Grilled Chicken
(makes 1 salad)
- 1-2 beets, cleaned and stems removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
- large handful red leaf lettuce, spinach or mixed greens
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5-6 slices red onion
- small handful red cabbage, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, for dressing
- Rub olive oil, salt and pepper on the chicken breast and place in a bag. Pour the balsamic vinegar over the chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours.
- In a shallow pan, rub the beets with olive oil and cover with tin foil.
- In a preheated 400F, roast the beets for about 50 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Drizzle the marinated chicken breast with more olive oil or balsamic vinegar and grill for about 4 or 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the skins from the beets and slice thin.
- Cut the chicken into strips.
- Assemble the salad and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.