What better way to make a slow transition into fall than with an apple rhubarb crisp? I am a little reluctant to acknowledge the fact that fall is coming so it’s nice to bring the two seasons together in a dessert! I saw a lot of recipes for apple rhubarb crisp that called for green apples but I thought sweet red apples would be a good choice since rhubarb is so tart. To compensate on the apples’ sweetness I just cut the sugar a bit and it turned out great! The recipe is similar to the other rhubarb crisp recipe and just as delicious! I liked the combination of the sweet apples, tart rhubarb and crunchy crust. Whipped cream and vanilla ice cream are the perfect accompaniment for this dessert!
Apple Rhubarb Crisp
(makes 12 bars)
- 7 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 5 cups red apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, butter, and spices.
- In a large shallow glass pan evenly spread the chopped rhubarb and apples (about 1 1/2-2 inches deep).
- Spread the dry mixture on top of the rhubarb and apples evenly.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown and the apples are tender.