What better way to enjoy the Fall weather than with a warm bowl of sweet potato soup? A lot of sweet potato recipes go on the sweet side but this recipe heads in the savory direction. There’s no added sugar or sweeteners which is refreshing because sweet potatoes are sweet (duh) as it is! All you need is some spicy flavors to contrast with the potato’s flavor. The soup is flavored with turmeric and smoked paprika, along with the smokey croutons and creamy greek yogurt. I really liked the contrast between the crunchy croutons and the soup. I garnished the soup with greek yogurt and cilantro. Lime and honey are also optional garnishes. I will definitely be making this a lot on the colder days this season!
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Smokey Croutons and Greek Yogurt
(Makes 2-3 servings)
- 5-6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- about 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth (to taste for thickness)
- 3 slices wheat bread, cut into 1 inch sections
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- greek yogurt, for garnish
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 2 tsp honey (optional)
- Poke with a knife and roast the washed potatoes until tender in a preheated 400F oven, about 35-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add in paprika, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to medium low.
- In a large bowl, add the bread and lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in preheated 375F oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Scrape the sweet potatoes from their skins into a food processor and puree. Add a little chicken broth if necessary.
- Add the sweet potato puree and chicken broth into the pot, adding more or less chicken broth depending on desired consistency.*
- Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more broth to reach desired consistency.
- Stir together greek yogurt, cilantro, honey, and lime juice. Pour soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of yogurt.
*If a smoother consistency is desired, add the sweet potatoes from their skin directly to the pot and puree in a food processor all together. Transfer back to the pot and add the chicken broth.