I had been wanting to try some different hot sandwiches for a while now. This sandwich is like the Italian version of a hot ham and cheese. I thought it turned out great and all the flavors tasted really good together. The smoky cured ham tasted great with the fruity sweetness of the fig jam. The crispy ciabatta roll and the melted mozzarella also provided a nice balance of textures. Next time, I would probably use a little bit less of the fig spread because it was quite sweet. I will be making this recipe again for sure!
Prosciutto and Mozzarella Panini Sandwich with Fig Jam
(Makes 1 sandwich)
- 2 teaspoon fig spread or preserves
- 2 slices ciabatta
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or other salt-cured ham
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- Preheat the panini or foreman grill.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of fig spread on each slice of bread.
- Assemble the sandwich and brush the outside of the bread with the olive oil.
- Grill until crispy and golden, about 5-8 minutes.