Who doesn’t love grilled chicken on a stick? A little while ago I tried the Greek version, Chicken Kalamaki, and I was sold on grilled chicken marinated with Mediterranean ingredients. This time I wanted to explore Lebanese grilled chicken, or “Shish Taouk,” which is first marinated in a blend of yogurt, tomato paste, herbs and spices, garlic and lemon juice. The combination sounded amazing and I figured it would go well with the Hummus and Tabouleh I had already prepared. The chicken smelled so good while it was grilling and the outside started to caramelize nicely from the tomato paste. I used pita bread as the vehicle to serve all 3 foods (dab pita in the hummus + a scoop of tabouleh + piece of chicken on top= heaven!) Everything worked so well together and it was a great way to celebrate the end of summer.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- 1/3 cup full fat plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 batch tabouleh
- 1 batch hummus
- 2 pitas, cut into triangles
- Mix the yogurt, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice together.
- Stir in the thyme, cumin, paprika, and allspice.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Thread chicken on skewers and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side.
This post is in collaboration with the Yahoo Shine Supper Club’s easy weeknight chicken recipes.
The Curious Country Cook: Lemon Pesto Pasta with Chicken
Feed Your Soul: Chicken Milanese Biscuit Sandwich
In My Element: Diced Chicken, Broccoli with Whole Wheat Pasta
Living Lou: Spicy Chicken Skewers
The Partial Ingredients: Lebanese Chicken Skewers
Sarah B. Weir: Chicken Braised in Tomato
Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: Peanut Sesame Noodles with Chicken
Serena Bakes: Jalapeno Lime Chicken Alfredo with Cilantro
So says Sarah: Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
Sushi and Stilettos: Easy Pesto Chicken Bake
Sweet ‘n’ Sourdough:
Baked Mango Chipotle Chicken Tenders