I had a few over-ripe bananas that were just begging to be turned into bread. Instead of banana bread I wanted to try something a little more portable and great for breakfast. I made a few muffins without chocolate chips on top and since the recipe is fairly low in sugar it was a nice option for the morning. I loved the combo of semi sweet chocolate, banana bread and spices. The texture of the muffin was fluffy and tender, spiced with nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cinnamon. You can make these substituting one cup all purpose flour with a cup whole wheat flour for a healthier alternative.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Makes 1 Dozen)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup overripe mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Line muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cups.
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in milk, oil and banana.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until flour is just dissolved. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated 400F oven. Immediately remove from pan.